Random dumb thoughts

This page is to put those little weirdnesses of life that don't really fit anywhere else, or aren't worth a page of their own

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Can I Buy A Vowel, Please?

Last night I was playing Scrabble with some friends (yeah, that's how the single girls party on a Friday Night -- woooooooooo!), and I seemed to get stuck with all the big point letters, but no "u"s. In one round, I got J,O,Y,F,L. Killer word score, no? Not without any "u"s out there, or completely blocked off. But I manage to get rid of those letters in a couple of turns, and then I draw the "Z". Got rid of that, but I had to use my blank tile to get that. And the joke going around the table was "well, who's got the Q?", and they all turn around and point at me. Which I hadn't yet, but on that last tile draw.... bingo. All I had left at that point was Q, S, L. And when it was over, I had to eat all ten points of that Q. Little bastard.

So here's the question -- Scrabble words that have a "Q" but no "U". Apart from qat, I'm stumped. If we can go to proper nouns, I'd be fine. For example, I always spell "Kansas" with a Q ....

I knew there was a reason why I didn't play Scrabble that much. And one of my friends is SERIOUS with her Scrabble. I was called a "jerk-faced-creep" when I took the spot she wanted on the board. [Granted, in the pantheon of epithets she's known to hurl, that's almost a term of endearment] And you should have seen the dirty looks she was giving her mother when her mother was taking a while to come up with a word. But that's okay. She put down one word, and two of us protested that it was Japanese and not English. She fought us off, but her mother, who had stayed out of it, looks around, and with great glee looks her in the eye and with great glee says "It's Japaneeeeeeese!". And giggles. And mom won, which she said she hadn't done in years. Arigato gozaimasu, dear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home