Random dumb thoughts

This page is to put those little weirdnesses of life that don't really fit anywhere else, or aren't worth a page of their own

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Greetings From the World's Biggest Geek

It's official. I admit it. I have been accused of something that I am loath to admit, but it has been proven true. I'm mad I'll have to 'fess up to the main accuser, but so be it. I'm a huge geek.

I have had a nasty habit over the years of being able to use Star Trek analogies to explain things. I tend to attribute it to my capacity to retain meaningless trivia combined with a decent ability to synthesize data. I often find analogous situations in a lot of things, but because Star Trek is such a part of cultural lexicon (at least in circles I travel in), has addressed so many geo-political and socio-cultural issues (often with the use of a huge anvil), and most people won't get it if I start comparing things to 12th century England, I often find Star Trek the most apt analogy at hand. As a disclaimer, I don't speak Klingon, can't tell you a damn thing about the tech specs of ANY Enterprise, have never dressed up in a Federation or alien uniform. Let's face it, television is the literary canon of the late 20th century.

However, today took the cake. I went to see "The Illusionist" , which was a charming little movie based in 19th century Vienna. To make it vague for those who haven't seen it yet (and I do recommend it -- a very nice little movie) there's a twist that gets revealed at the end. Somewhere in the first quarter or third of the movie, though, I saw a single object on the screen, and suddenly a thought passed through my mind. And that thought was a Star Trek episode from the original series. "That's what this is. That's what's about to happen. I hope it's not that obvious." Of course, when the movie ends, that's exactly what it was. I turned to my friend (another ST geek, and actually worse than me because she sat through and enjoyed all of Deep Space Nine), and said "that was (situation of specific episode, including name of specific episode)". "Yup".

Sigh. I need to get out more. And of course, I'm not going to tell you what episode it was, because I know there are more of you out there, and I if give the episode name I'll spoil the movie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home