CD Song Challenge 2006
This was my bad -- I didn’t realize that you weren’t supposed to include the song tracks with the CD. I actually like it better when I get the track listings, as I’m completely anal retentive, and won’t upload the CDs into my iPod until I can label the tracks. No, I’m not in therapy, and I’ll fight anyone who suggests it.
I’m very proud that I was able to keep off two artists with whom I could probably have answered every category, in order to make this a true challenge -- Elvis Costello and Squeeze (or their associated members). So far I’ve gotten all the CDs except for one (no actual rush, as it’s going to take me a while to get through the ones already here). Some great stuff in here -- this is great! I’m rocking out to Flipsy’s at the moment, and have already grooved to both of Bet’s.
1. A song you like to wake up to -- Here Comes the Sun -- The Pockets Someone else picked up this song, but not this cover. I think these guys are Danish. Or maybe Streudel?
2. An "earworm" -- Ya’Maya -- Hakim After a while, this one just gets in your ear. I find it also works for a song to listen to when I’m angry. Hakim is a nice Egyptian boy making Arabic music that I find just accessible enough to appeal -- i.e. every song doesn’t sound the same.
3. A one-hit wonder -- Ca Plane Pour Moi -- Plastic Bertrand Gotta just love this one. I miss the 80s.
4. A song that makes you laugh -- Title of the Song -- Da Vinci’s Notebook A local a capella band, with their take on every boy band song ever written.
5. A traveling song -- ??? ?????? (My Moscow) Sorry that blogger can't actually render cyrillic. This is the first of two songs on this mix on which I am singing backup in the choir. I have sung this song in Moscow and London. The soloist is the Russian Baritone Dmitri Hvorostovsky. He’s a huge sex symbol in Russia, especially to ‘women of a certain age’. Like my mother.
6. A song you like that your mother would also like -- Drifters Medley -- Yale Alley Cats I know all these guys, and I still love this arrangement after 15 years.
7. Your guilty pleasure song -- You Drive Me Crazy -- Britney Spears I still think I win on the embarrassment factor, especially since I was told that one never needs to be embarrassed by Randy Travis’ “Forever and Ever, Amen”.
8. A song you like to play when you're pissed off -- Lithium -- Nirvana I got a whole bunch of CDs in the mail today, and this one is also listed as someone else’s track for this same category. It really does work well for this, doesn’t it.
9. An instrumental song -- Margaret Yang’s Theme -- Mark Mothersbaugh Just a nice little ditty from the Rushmore soundtrack. That, and it’s short so it gave me more time for some other songs.
10. Song from your favorite music video -- I Am A Man of Constant Sorrow -- Soggy Bottom Boys This counts, as I have independently seen this video on at least two occasions while flipping through the channels on Country Music TV or whatever it’s called. This has nothing at all whatsoever to do with the shots of Clooney in it. Nosiree.
11. A song from TV -- That’s Just What You Are -- Aimee Mann On the single version it was billed in big letters that it was from the closing credits of either Melrose Place or Beverly Hills 90210. I can’t really tell those shows apart.
12. A kick-ass cover song -- Train in Vain -- Annie Lennox. Really nothing to say about this. I dare you to deny its greatness.
13. A song you've "played out" -- All Those Years Ago -- George Harrison Loved this song, now I hit “skip” a lot with it.
14. Song about one of the Seven Deadly Sins (Sloth) -- Why Don’t You Get A Job -- The Offspring Title says it all.
15. A song that makes you cry -- Don’t Go -- Matthew Sweet This probably chokes me up more than any other song that isn’t a few Squeeze ones.
16. A song about a real person -- Song for Bob Dylan -- David Bowie I just love this album. It’s hunky dory.
17. A song about music -- American Music -- Violent Femmes I’m glad to see I’m not the only one who picked the VFs.
18. Song with a one-word title -- If... -- The Bluetones I was going to try to do this without the Bluetones, but I figured that most people don’t have their stuff, so I went with it.
19. A song you like that your father would also like -- A Touch of Gershwin -- Yale Glee Club This is the second song on which I am actually singing in the choir. Of note to the real world, though, is that the male soloist is Ron Livingston. The female soloist isn’t, although she was a Miss Connecticut, I think.
20. Your first favorite song -- Crocodile Rock -- Elton John It really was. Still kind of like it a lot.
This was my bad -- I didn’t realize that you weren’t supposed to include the song tracks with the CD. I actually like it better when I get the track listings, as I’m completely anal retentive, and won’t upload the CDs into my iPod until I can label the tracks. No, I’m not in therapy, and I’ll fight anyone who suggests it.
I’m very proud that I was able to keep off two artists with whom I could probably have answered every category, in order to make this a true challenge -- Elvis Costello and Squeeze (or their associated members). So far I’ve gotten all the CDs except for one (no actual rush, as it’s going to take me a while to get through the ones already here). Some great stuff in here -- this is great! I’m rocking out to Flipsy’s at the moment, and have already grooved to both of Bet’s.
1. A song you like to wake up to -- Here Comes the Sun -- The Pockets Someone else picked up this song, but not this cover. I think these guys are Danish. Or maybe Streudel?
2. An "earworm" -- Ya’Maya -- Hakim After a while, this one just gets in your ear. I find it also works for a song to listen to when I’m angry. Hakim is a nice Egyptian boy making Arabic music that I find just accessible enough to appeal -- i.e. every song doesn’t sound the same.
3. A one-hit wonder -- Ca Plane Pour Moi -- Plastic Bertrand Gotta just love this one. I miss the 80s.
4. A song that makes you laugh -- Title of the Song -- Da Vinci’s Notebook A local a capella band, with their take on every boy band song ever written.
5. A traveling song -- ??? ?????? (My Moscow) Sorry that blogger can't actually render cyrillic. This is the first of two songs on this mix on which I am singing backup in the choir. I have sung this song in Moscow and London. The soloist is the Russian Baritone Dmitri Hvorostovsky. He’s a huge sex symbol in Russia, especially to ‘women of a certain age’. Like my mother.
6. A song you like that your mother would also like -- Drifters Medley -- Yale Alley Cats I know all these guys, and I still love this arrangement after 15 years.
7. Your guilty pleasure song -- You Drive Me Crazy -- Britney Spears I still think I win on the embarrassment factor, especially since I was told that one never needs to be embarrassed by Randy Travis’ “Forever and Ever, Amen”.
8. A song you like to play when you're pissed off -- Lithium -- Nirvana I got a whole bunch of CDs in the mail today, and this one is also listed as someone else’s track for this same category. It really does work well for this, doesn’t it.
9. An instrumental song -- Margaret Yang’s Theme -- Mark Mothersbaugh Just a nice little ditty from the Rushmore soundtrack. That, and it’s short so it gave me more time for some other songs.
10. Song from your favorite music video -- I Am A Man of Constant Sorrow -- Soggy Bottom Boys This counts, as I have independently seen this video on at least two occasions while flipping through the channels on Country Music TV or whatever it’s called. This has nothing at all whatsoever to do with the shots of Clooney in it. Nosiree.
11. A song from TV -- That’s Just What You Are -- Aimee Mann On the single version it was billed in big letters that it was from the closing credits of either Melrose Place or Beverly Hills 90210. I can’t really tell those shows apart.
12. A kick-ass cover song -- Train in Vain -- Annie Lennox. Really nothing to say about this. I dare you to deny its greatness.
13. A song you've "played out" -- All Those Years Ago -- George Harrison Loved this song, now I hit “skip” a lot with it.
14. Song about one of the Seven Deadly Sins (Sloth) -- Why Don’t You Get A Job -- The Offspring Title says it all.
15. A song that makes you cry -- Don’t Go -- Matthew Sweet This probably chokes me up more than any other song that isn’t a few Squeeze ones.
16. A song about a real person -- Song for Bob Dylan -- David Bowie I just love this album. It’s hunky dory.
17. A song about music -- American Music -- Violent Femmes I’m glad to see I’m not the only one who picked the VFs.
18. Song with a one-word title -- If... -- The Bluetones I was going to try to do this without the Bluetones, but I figured that most people don’t have their stuff, so I went with it.
19. A song you like that your father would also like -- A Touch of Gershwin -- Yale Glee Club This is the second song on which I am actually singing in the choir. Of note to the real world, though, is that the male soloist is Ron Livingston. The female soloist isn’t, although she was a Miss Connecticut, I think.
20. Your first favorite song -- Crocodile Rock -- Elton John It really was. Still kind of like it a lot.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home