Insult to Injury?
I guess I am now officially past it. On Friday night, I realized that I needed to purchase my trip insurance for next summer's choir extravaganza to South Africa. I'm really looking forward to this trip, but next summer is a long way off, and the trip's muy expensivo, although my sojourns in Kansas have lessened the sting immensely. I always buy trip insurance, and that was driven home by an experience of two of my closest friends, who were supposed to go on a really great trip late in August, when one of their mothers became quite ill about a week before the trip, and my friend had to rush home. Now, this woman had amazed us several times before by being on the brink and then coming back at the eleventh hour, which she actually did once again this time for a little bit, but then had a relapse and sadly didn't make it. My friends had to cancel their trip, and they're looking at being out a great deal of money, as everything nowadays is unrefundable. They were able to get an offer to reschedule the trip before the end of the year, but that may not work out.
My tour group sent me an e-mail announcing a group rate that they had worked out, but since the average age of that group is probably 65, I figured I could get a better deal on my own, because I'm young. Okay, I'm not as young as I once was, but still, I'm in the prime of life, no?
So I call my usual trip insurance vendor, and sure enough, it's cheaper to insure me alone than as part of the group. The lady on the other end of the phone was really nice, and I guess was in a chatty mood that night. She told me where she was, a bit about herself, about some current events in her neck of the midwestern woods, and then she started going through the exclusions. "Well, you can't claim for pregnancy, but oh, at your age you don't worry about that, do you?" She was really sweet, so I didn't call her on it, but my brain answered back "Honey, at my age I worry about that ALL THE TIME". Just not probably in the way she thinks.
So I guess I'm old, but I do keep in mind what some of my friends said on the last choir trip -- two of them were chortling, as they said "hee, now that we're 47, it's really nice to be lumped in with and referred to as 'the young folks'". I'll just keep repeating that, see if it helps.
I guess I am now officially past it. On Friday night, I realized that I needed to purchase my trip insurance for next summer's choir extravaganza to South Africa. I'm really looking forward to this trip, but next summer is a long way off, and the trip's muy expensivo, although my sojourns in Kansas have lessened the sting immensely. I always buy trip insurance, and that was driven home by an experience of two of my closest friends, who were supposed to go on a really great trip late in August, when one of their mothers became quite ill about a week before the trip, and my friend had to rush home. Now, this woman had amazed us several times before by being on the brink and then coming back at the eleventh hour, which she actually did once again this time for a little bit, but then had a relapse and sadly didn't make it. My friends had to cancel their trip, and they're looking at being out a great deal of money, as everything nowadays is unrefundable. They were able to get an offer to reschedule the trip before the end of the year, but that may not work out.
My tour group sent me an e-mail announcing a group rate that they had worked out, but since the average age of that group is probably 65, I figured I could get a better deal on my own, because I'm young. Okay, I'm not as young as I once was, but still, I'm in the prime of life, no?
So I call my usual trip insurance vendor, and sure enough, it's cheaper to insure me alone than as part of the group. The lady on the other end of the phone was really nice, and I guess was in a chatty mood that night. She told me where she was, a bit about herself, about some current events in her neck of the midwestern woods, and then she started going through the exclusions. "Well, you can't claim for pregnancy, but oh, at your age you don't worry about that, do you?" She was really sweet, so I didn't call her on it, but my brain answered back "Honey, at my age I worry about that ALL THE TIME". Just not probably in the way she thinks.
So I guess I'm old, but I do keep in mind what some of my friends said on the last choir trip -- two of them were chortling, as they said "hee, now that we're 47, it's really nice to be lumped in with and referred to as 'the young folks'". I'll just keep repeating that, see if it helps.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home