Holiday Christmas Mix Challenge 2006 Playlist
While my CD did come with the track names, here's some of the thinking behind it. I did feel a little bad about track 4, until I heard a few of the things I got on other people's CDs. You can deal with it, I know you can. The only reason I had duplicates was because of the first and last question -- those are relatively non-negotiable. This was fun, and so far I've enjoyed all the CDs I've received. So here goes:
1. First song (on the first side) of the first album you ever purchased.
Your Song (Elton John’s Greatest Hits) -- my tastes don’t change much over the years.
2. Holiday song, for the holiday of your choice.
Groundhog Day -- Eric Meany. I also could have used this for song by someone I know in a band, but how many songs about Groundhog Day are there?
3. Geographical location song.
Utopia Parkway -- Fountains of Wayne. My uncle lives off it, and I’ll be driving it next week.
4. A medley.
I used the best ones the last time. Just for that, you’re getting this: Squabs on Forty Fab -- Squeeze. Neener neener.
5. A dance song.
Rock Lobster -- B52s.. This is high school for me.
6. Song with a woman’s name in the title.
Suzanne -- Harry Belafonte. I just like Mr. B. If I lived 40 years ago, he’d be my dirty weekend runaway boy, rather than Mr. Kravitz.
7. Song you would like to have played at your funeral.
Skyline Pigeon -- Elton John. I noticed several of the CDs have songs about birds or flying in this slot.
8. Song by your friend’s band.
Since I went with Rico on track 2, I’m going with a track by the guy I met on the train going up to New York who gave me one of his CDs. He had made some money in the computer biz, opened a restaurant, and started a band. He was going up to NY to talk to the “record people”, and gave me one of the CDs, which I don’t think were out yet. Very nice guy. I hadn’t really heard of Norah Jones then, either.
“Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?” -- Touch Acoustra (vocal by Norah Jones)
9. A drinking song.
Drunken Sailor -- Yale Alley Cats
10. Kickass cover song - with a twist!
“My Funny Valentine” -- The Chairman of the Board. Okay, it’s probably not the first, but I just know this song so well when the Elv does it, and this one came before that one.
11. Song with a man’s name in the title.
Oliver’s Army -- Elvis Costello. Trying to keep with the Elvis theme. There just aren’t as many good songs about guys. I guess men really are the romantics, writing songs about the ladies. Or else we just don’t name names so much.
12. B-side.
Lucky for me I just got my CD of 43 Bluetones b-sides. I picked the second most prominent earworm. Please Stop Talking -- The Bluetones. This is such a guy thing to say in a relationship.
13. Song about the weather.
Only Happy When It Rains -- Garbage. Always just liked this song.
14. Musical question.
Where Are We Runnin’? -- Lenny Kravitz. Hey, it’s my holiday mix, and I wouldn’t mind some Lenny under my tree.
15. Your Cheatin’ Heart.
Into Temptation -- Crowded House. “Tempted” was too obvious, and I can’t stand the recorded version anyway.
16. Song about violence and/or death.
Lament -- Patti Lupone/Evita. It’s what she sings right before she croaks.
17. Song you like by a band or artist you normally can’t stand.
“All I Want For Christmas Is You” -- Mariah Carey. Even better, given this is the holiday mix.
18. Song you like to play air guitar to.
“That’s Entertainment” -- The Jam. I like to strum along. You guys are also really lucky that November Rain is 9 minutes long.
19. Amnesty Song.
“Better Than Most” A.C. Newman. I’ve been trying to get something on this album in a mix somewhere.
20. Last song (on the last side) of your favorite album of all time.
Hmmm. This was hard. I tried to think of what would be the only album I would take to me on a desert island, and that would probably be Brahms German Requiem. The last track on that is 11 minutes long though, so that’s out. So that left me kind of Squeezy and Elvisy. Since my first gut was East Side Story, and the final track on that was short, the winner is..
“Messed Around -- Squeeze.
While my CD did come with the track names, here's some of the thinking behind it. I did feel a little bad about track 4, until I heard a few of the things I got on other people's CDs. You can deal with it, I know you can. The only reason I had duplicates was because of the first and last question -- those are relatively non-negotiable. This was fun, and so far I've enjoyed all the CDs I've received. So here goes:
1. First song (on the first side) of the first album you ever purchased.
Your Song (Elton John’s Greatest Hits) -- my tastes don’t change much over the years.
2. Holiday song, for the holiday of your choice.
Groundhog Day -- Eric Meany. I also could have used this for song by someone I know in a band, but how many songs about Groundhog Day are there?
3. Geographical location song.
Utopia Parkway -- Fountains of Wayne. My uncle lives off it, and I’ll be driving it next week.
4. A medley.
I used the best ones the last time. Just for that, you’re getting this: Squabs on Forty Fab -- Squeeze. Neener neener.
5. A dance song.
Rock Lobster -- B52s.. This is high school for me.
6. Song with a woman’s name in the title.
Suzanne -- Harry Belafonte. I just like Mr. B. If I lived 40 years ago, he’d be my dirty weekend runaway boy, rather than Mr. Kravitz.
7. Song you would like to have played at your funeral.
Skyline Pigeon -- Elton John. I noticed several of the CDs have songs about birds or flying in this slot.
8. Song by your friend’s band.
Since I went with Rico on track 2, I’m going with a track by the guy I met on the train going up to New York who gave me one of his CDs. He had made some money in the computer biz, opened a restaurant, and started a band. He was going up to NY to talk to the “record people”, and gave me one of the CDs, which I don’t think were out yet. Very nice guy. I hadn’t really heard of Norah Jones then, either.
“Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?” -- Touch Acoustra (vocal by Norah Jones)
9. A drinking song.
Drunken Sailor -- Yale Alley Cats
10. Kickass cover song - with a twist!
“My Funny Valentine” -- The Chairman of the Board. Okay, it’s probably not the first, but I just know this song so well when the Elv does it, and this one came before that one.
11. Song with a man’s name in the title.
Oliver’s Army -- Elvis Costello. Trying to keep with the Elvis theme. There just aren’t as many good songs about guys. I guess men really are the romantics, writing songs about the ladies. Or else we just don’t name names so much.
12. B-side.
Lucky for me I just got my CD of 43 Bluetones b-sides. I picked the second most prominent earworm. Please Stop Talking -- The Bluetones. This is such a guy thing to say in a relationship.
13. Song about the weather.
Only Happy When It Rains -- Garbage. Always just liked this song.
14. Musical question.
Where Are We Runnin’? -- Lenny Kravitz. Hey, it’s my holiday mix, and I wouldn’t mind some Lenny under my tree.
15. Your Cheatin’ Heart.
Into Temptation -- Crowded House. “Tempted” was too obvious, and I can’t stand the recorded version anyway.
16. Song about violence and/or death.
Lament -- Patti Lupone/Evita. It’s what she sings right before she croaks.
17. Song you like by a band or artist you normally can’t stand.
“All I Want For Christmas Is You” -- Mariah Carey. Even better, given this is the holiday mix.
18. Song you like to play air guitar to.
“That’s Entertainment” -- The Jam. I like to strum along. You guys are also really lucky that November Rain is 9 minutes long.
19. Amnesty Song.
“Better Than Most” A.C. Newman. I’ve been trying to get something on this album in a mix somewhere.
20. Last song (on the last side) of your favorite album of all time.
Hmmm. This was hard. I tried to think of what would be the only album I would take to me on a desert island, and that would probably be Brahms German Requiem. The last track on that is 11 minutes long though, so that’s out. So that left me kind of Squeezy and Elvisy. Since my first gut was East Side Story, and the final track on that was short, the winner is..
“Messed Around -- Squeeze.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home