Random dumb thoughts

This page is to put those little weirdnesses of life that don't really fit anywhere else, or aren't worth a page of their own

Friday, June 08, 2007

Really Dumb Question of the Day

"Oh, so you're going to go see Ocean's 13 tonight. Is the movie any good?" The Coven all just looks at one another blankly when we get this question. What does that have to with anything? It will either get a "Freakin' Awesome" (like 11) or "Pretty Good" (like 12). The Clooney-in-a-Tux factor allows no other. The only Clooney that's Four Stars -- A Classic is actually a tux-less one -- O Brother, Where Art Thou? (I've got to update the movie list to reflect that it did indeed stand the test of time.)

The other funny thing is to look at the review of the movie in the New York Times here. Why on earth are they using phrases like "pushes at the limits of conventional narrative filmmaking" and "these movies bewitch precisely because they exist outside the prison house of realism" and "proves that in spades by using colors like Kandinsky"? All it needs to say is "there's pretty people in pretty clothes. Check your logic at the door and sit back and enjoy the ride". Sheesh.

The only thing that would have been better was if it had come out in May.

4 Comments:

  • At 7:24 PM , Blogger stennie said...

    "Oh, so you're going to go see Ocean's 13 tonight. Is the movie any good?"

    Granted, I am not a member of The Coven (I am getting there, though -- George has grown on me in the last few years), but my response to this would be, "I haven't seen it yet, so..." I mean, future tense, right?

     
  • At 10:45 PM , Blogger Mike said...

    Saw it this afternoon. Don't think about the intricacies of the storyline and the big holes in the plot, just sit back and watch some really cool people be really cool. Added bonus: Al Pacino doesn't scream like a banshee this time around.

    I still can't see any difference between Clooney and myself.

     
  • At 8:50 AM , Blogger Lily said...

    Okay, here's the post flick update:

    1) George, eat a cheeseburger. I'm afraid I might break you.

    2) It was pretty good. What I didn't like so much was that they basically announced what they were going to do, and did it. If there were unexpected twists, I must be smarter than the average bear.

    3) My favorite part had to be Elliot Gould's character doing a scene lifted straight from the Godfather. I think I was the only person who caught that.

    Overall, a fun flick, but I'm not sure if it was better than 12. Didn't drag in parts like 12 did, but Al was chewing the scenery. Andy does a much better job of evil casino owner. Al was so pompous that you didn't care how he got his comeuppance. Andy, well you kind of wanted him to win a little.

     
  • At 10:40 PM , Blogger Bet said...

    What about George in the porno mustache, though? I've seen a still.

    He IS too skinny. With all that cooking you do, why isn't he more filled out?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home