Minor Celebrity Sighting, Political Edition
This evening, as I was waiting in line to pick up some coffees at the coffee bar at my local Whole Foods, I noticed a girl standing around wearing a cute little jacket in turquoise. As I had been looking at several cute little jackets earlier in the day to no avail (my body type doesn't lend itself to cute little jackets--most of them are not made for women who are actually designed like women), I was envious that she could get away with that. Then I looked at her face and said "you know, she looks like on of the Bush twins, the blonde one." Then when I looked around at the other people getting coffee, I noticed she was standing next to a girl who looked exactly like the other Bush twin. Well, you can't say that my parents wasted 90 grand on an Ivy-league education for nothing, as I deduced that these two women were in fact, the Bush twins. I have to say that Jenna, the blonde one, just doesn't photograph very well, because I had always thought of her as chunky, but she's not. She's really tiny. I also looked around to see if there were Secret Service around, but I couldn't spot any, although I'm sure they were there, especially as deep into enemy territory as they were. Either that, or they were playing hooky, which I couldn't say I would blame them for. I don't care what your politics are, it must really suck to be their age with your father as President, and it's a good thing they have each other. I'd be ditching the Secret Service on a regular basis. No one seemed to notice them -- it's kind of funny to realize just how little the cashiers pay attention to the people they are serving. They guy never really raised his head the entire time, and the coffee girl was too busy screwing up my order to notice.
On a depressing political note, I just realized that I will be in Florida on the weekend before the election. How awful is that going to be? I'm sure I'll probably get to meet all the candidates and their running mates over the weekend. If they ask for my vote, I'm going to ask how much they'll give me for it -- see who's the most desperate. Either that or I'll play "sound bite bingo" -- whichever one repeats five of their most popular soundbites in the conversation first will win it. I'm not sure, of all the people running and their spouses, who I'd actually want to sit down and have coffee with. I think the answer would be either Teresa Heinz Kerry (she's insane, but would be infinitely amusing -- I think we'd be in for a fun time with her as a first lady -- they're going to need a very good spin control team on her) or Lynne Cheney, who strikes me as being able to hold an intelligent conversation. The rest of them? Just scary. And I know scary.
I also think my home state is going to be very close -- it's been written off, but the polls show that it's a dead heat. I'm tempted to vote for Kerry just to show them that they should never count on anyone's vote. Leave Pennsylvania and Florida alone and start paying attention to the rest of us. Especially those of us who have to make your government work.
This evening, as I was waiting in line to pick up some coffees at the coffee bar at my local Whole Foods, I noticed a girl standing around wearing a cute little jacket in turquoise. As I had been looking at several cute little jackets earlier in the day to no avail (my body type doesn't lend itself to cute little jackets--most of them are not made for women who are actually designed like women), I was envious that she could get away with that. Then I looked at her face and said "you know, she looks like on of the Bush twins, the blonde one." Then when I looked around at the other people getting coffee, I noticed she was standing next to a girl who looked exactly like the other Bush twin. Well, you can't say that my parents wasted 90 grand on an Ivy-league education for nothing, as I deduced that these two women were in fact, the Bush twins. I have to say that Jenna, the blonde one, just doesn't photograph very well, because I had always thought of her as chunky, but she's not. She's really tiny. I also looked around to see if there were Secret Service around, but I couldn't spot any, although I'm sure they were there, especially as deep into enemy territory as they were. Either that, or they were playing hooky, which I couldn't say I would blame them for. I don't care what your politics are, it must really suck to be their age with your father as President, and it's a good thing they have each other. I'd be ditching the Secret Service on a regular basis. No one seemed to notice them -- it's kind of funny to realize just how little the cashiers pay attention to the people they are serving. They guy never really raised his head the entire time, and the coffee girl was too busy screwing up my order to notice.
On a depressing political note, I just realized that I will be in Florida on the weekend before the election. How awful is that going to be? I'm sure I'll probably get to meet all the candidates and their running mates over the weekend. If they ask for my vote, I'm going to ask how much they'll give me for it -- see who's the most desperate. Either that or I'll play "sound bite bingo" -- whichever one repeats five of their most popular soundbites in the conversation first will win it. I'm not sure, of all the people running and their spouses, who I'd actually want to sit down and have coffee with. I think the answer would be either Teresa Heinz Kerry (she's insane, but would be infinitely amusing -- I think we'd be in for a fun time with her as a first lady -- they're going to need a very good spin control team on her) or Lynne Cheney, who strikes me as being able to hold an intelligent conversation. The rest of them? Just scary. And I know scary.
I also think my home state is going to be very close -- it's been written off, but the polls show that it's a dead heat. I'm tempted to vote for Kerry just to show them that they should never count on anyone's vote. Leave Pennsylvania and Florida alone and start paying attention to the rest of us. Especially those of us who have to make your government work.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home