Random dumb thoughts

This page is to put those little weirdnesses of life that don't really fit anywhere else, or aren't worth a page of their own

Saturday, July 08, 2006

More Coffee Foolishness

I acknowledge that I haven't blogged in a while, and I don't think this particular entry is going to win any awards, but I noticed something yesterday that set me off. Granted, it wasn't in a bad way, but it gave me a headache because I couldn't stop shaking my head in befuddlement.

It happened at my friendly, officeplace Starbucks. They had out the urns of the various kinds of coffee, and I noticed one that was new to me, "Cafe Estima". It was labelled as "bold", so I figured I'd try it, as I usually gravitate towards the "bold" coffees, like French Roast (or the ones that taste like dirt or twigs, as Bet and my friend Karen have noted). I take a sip, and I'm not thrilled, as it tastes like a bunch of the ones that I don't like. Then I look over at the Sumatra and French Roast urns and note that they have been upgraded to "Extra Bold". WTF? "Extra Bold"?

So I start looking at all of them -- Caffe Verona, which was once "smooth" is now "bold". I guess they figured we'd cotton on to the fact that paying exhorbitant sums for a cup of coffee made us all weak as sheep, so now we're all going to have to be reinforced that we are strong, active, and assertive people -- risk takers! -- by our choice of coffee. We're all "bold"! Woo! And if we take the burned bean coffee, we're "Extra bold". How about that, kids?

For my brand new stainless steel coffeemaker with the gold filter (hey, I used a gift certificate, so it was free), I stick with the Italian Roast Blend from Trader Joe's. A heck of a lot cheaper, comes in a resealable container, and tastes better. Can you tell I just drank an entire pot of it? Woo hoooooooooo!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home