Dear Lord, Let Me Go Back To Work Soon...
Is it a sign of the apocalypse? This morning as I was burping a very nice child, I turned on the tee vee and who should I see but Kathie Lee Gifford in all her awfulness on the Today show. They were doing this outdoor spot, and she was wearing this bizarre animal print raincoat, but done up in such a way that it couldn't provide much warmth but did show off she was wearing a very short skirt with no hose. Next to narcissism in the dictionary, I'm sure her picture is there. The Washington Post summed up the scene so well. Who hires her? Why do they think anyone wants to watch? It's gonna send me running back to The View, and we know how awful that is. I don't think they need two hours of the Today show, let alone three. And here I was kind of glad to get perky-pants Katie Couric off the show. But I guess I'm old, if I watch anything, I watch CBS' Early Show. Those people are bland, but not annoying, and the head-up-the-ass quotient is pretty low. I'm mixed on Good Morning America -- I went to college with one of the gaggle of hosts, and I find it weird to see them on the screen and think back to some parties back in the day.
On a separate note, and I know I'll get shunned by the fashionista crowd -- what is it with wearing skirts with no hose, especially in the winter or in air conditioning? Not only is it cold and you get goosebumps, it also requires a lot of... personal maintenance, especially if you are darker complected or have a Mediterranean background. I guess it's like the British wearing whites in the days of the empire -- it proved you had a lot of staff to look after them and definitely had time on your hands.
Is it a sign of the apocalypse? This morning as I was burping a very nice child, I turned on the tee vee and who should I see but Kathie Lee Gifford in all her awfulness on the Today show. They were doing this outdoor spot, and she was wearing this bizarre animal print raincoat, but done up in such a way that it couldn't provide much warmth but did show off she was wearing a very short skirt with no hose. Next to narcissism in the dictionary, I'm sure her picture is there. The Washington Post summed up the scene so well. Who hires her? Why do they think anyone wants to watch? It's gonna send me running back to The View, and we know how awful that is. I don't think they need two hours of the Today show, let alone three. And here I was kind of glad to get perky-pants Katie Couric off the show. But I guess I'm old, if I watch anything, I watch CBS' Early Show. Those people are bland, but not annoying, and the head-up-the-ass quotient is pretty low. I'm mixed on Good Morning America -- I went to college with one of the gaggle of hosts, and I find it weird to see them on the screen and think back to some parties back in the day.
On a separate note, and I know I'll get shunned by the fashionista crowd -- what is it with wearing skirts with no hose, especially in the winter or in air conditioning? Not only is it cold and you get goosebumps, it also requires a lot of... personal maintenance, especially if you are darker complected or have a Mediterranean background. I guess it's like the British wearing whites in the days of the empire -- it proved you had a lot of staff to look after them and definitely had time on your hands.
Labels: annoying things, television

3 Comments:
At 1:39 PM ,
Duke said...
I personally think the biggest cause of mental illness in the U.S. is daytime TV. Who can watch that stuff without going nuts? The people are all morons and the topics they discuss stupid beyond words.
I liked daytime TV in the 60's better. Mostly game shows like Concentration and jeopardy. Later in the day were a few half intelligent talk shows like Mike Douglas and Merv Griffin. Beats the hell out of Ophra, Jerry Springer and judge Judy.
At 1:39 PM ,
Duke said...
I personally think the biggest cause of mental illness in the U.S. is daytime TV. Who can watch that stuff without going nuts? The people are all morons and the topics they discuss stupid beyond words.
I liked daytime TV in the 60's better. Mostly game shows like Concentration and jeopardy. Later in the day were a few half intelligent talk shows like Mike Douglas and Merv Griffin. Beats the hell out of Ophra, Jerry Springer and judge Judy.
At 2:58 PM ,
Bet said...
Boy howdy, did you hit on two things near and dear to my heart. The absolute shittiness of Kathie Lee Gifford, and how anyone on God's green earth could think dresses, heels, and no hose could be attractive. You know, people did that in England when I was there (January both times, and I'm sure you saw it too when you were there) - and I actually came home telling people about it. "Guess what they do in England? Wear heels and no hose!")
Sheeeeeeesh.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home