Random dumb thoughts

This page is to put those little weirdnesses of life that don't really fit anywhere else, or aren't worth a page of their own

Monday, March 14, 2005

The Glass is Half Empty

I fear this is the beginning of the end. I suspect that the way I am now is the best that I'm ever going to be, and that it really is the beginning of the end.

This little observation was prompted by a visit to the eye doctor. I go in, do the read the chart thingy, read all the fine print, annoy him by refusing to answer the questions that he asks ("Do the lines look any different to you?" "You mean the blue ones or the red ones?" 'Hey, you're not supposed to see that!"), get the drops in the eyes, etc.

So after we do the "which is better -- the first or the second?" drill with the glasses machine, he turns to me and tells me that for the second year in a row, my eyesight has improved. "Do you have a restriction on your driver's license?" "Yes." "Well, you can go down there and tell them to take it off. You're now within the legal limit for unrestricted driving." Now, I'm not going to do that -- take Betster's word for it about the joy that is the Virginia DMV -- but instead of making me happy, it made me feel as if my body is setting me up for the big fall that is to come.

In the last few months, I've hit my ideal weight, gotten my hair in order, and had some other medical news which also essentially said "all those problems you had? All better now!" I'm about as healthy as I've been in my adult life. There are a few bits that sag a bit, mostly due to the fact that I am down about 90 pounds from my all-time high, and the skin isn't THAT elastic, but for the most part everything's just peachy. It really won't get any better than this. I'm not saying that I'm over the moon about things or the niftiest thing since sliced bread -- the raw materials can't be altered -- but I feel as if this is it. I'm not sure what "it" is, but it better come fast before it all falls apart. And if it looks like George Clooney, so much the better.

I'm just waiting for some big life thing to jump up and bite me in the ass now. Come and get me, you little sissy.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home