The People Have Spoken! And They Are Weird.
All day long I've been seeing headlines crowing about how Michael Moore's "Farenheit 9/11" won the People's Choice Awards last night (does ANYONE watch those? No, really). I was mildly surprised, but I figured what the heck. I saw articles talking about how this was a big shout out from Hollyweird against Bush, the War, Nazis, whatever. So then I look at the list of winners, and what do I see as best drama? "The Passion of the Christ". So the same people who voted for Farenheit 9/11 also voted for the Gibson flick? One thing that I have evidenced is that 99 percent of the people who really, really liked one, seemed to hate the other, even without having seen it. Unless you're me, and you never had any desire to see either one. But they both win at the "people's choice". I'd like to meet these people. They are either very interesting, thoughtful people, or easily confused, blowhard Jesus freaks.
Of course, I expect the Oscars to come out with the bold, provocative choice of "The Aviator" this year. Let's give more awards to movies about movies!
All day long I've been seeing headlines crowing about how Michael Moore's "Farenheit 9/11" won the People's Choice Awards last night (does ANYONE watch those? No, really). I was mildly surprised, but I figured what the heck. I saw articles talking about how this was a big shout out from Hollyweird against Bush, the War, Nazis, whatever. So then I look at the list of winners, and what do I see as best drama? "The Passion of the Christ". So the same people who voted for Farenheit 9/11 also voted for the Gibson flick? One thing that I have evidenced is that 99 percent of the people who really, really liked one, seemed to hate the other, even without having seen it. Unless you're me, and you never had any desire to see either one. But they both win at the "people's choice". I'd like to meet these people. They are either very interesting, thoughtful people, or easily confused, blowhard Jesus freaks.
Of course, I expect the Oscars to come out with the bold, provocative choice of "The Aviator" this year. Let's give more awards to movies about movies!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home