A Few Sympathy Blogs
I don't have a microphone handy, so I can't dial in live, but in honor of today's Podcastathon over at the hucklebug.com I've decided to post the occasional (but not every half hour) "sympathy blog" with Bet and Stennie.
First entry:
I'm hungry and decided to make breakfast. In the last few weeks I've been craving baked goods, and been eating them, which is actually pretty nasty for someone with a serious wheat intolerance and who can't process sugar correctly. So it's time to get back on the wagon, so I decide to make wheat- (and probably gluten-) free faux scones this morning, so I can be less bad. I'm calling them "fridge-cleanout scones", and they're not bad, although they tend not to be as dry or bready as ones made with actual flour. I went looking in the fridge to see what needed using up and what I had on hands.
2 eggs
1/2 cup low-fat sour cream
1/4 cup natural applesauce
Rest of the container of soy protein powder from Trader Joes (about 4 scoops)
Several shakes of splenda
1/4 cup ground flax seed
1/4 cup ground almonds
Few tablespoons of unsweetened dry coconut
Vanilla and lemon extract
salt
cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger
Rest of the carton of blueberries
(all measurements totally approximate -- wasn't going to dirty any measuring utensils.)
Beat together all the wet ingredients with a whisk. Add sugar and blend. Switch to a spatula to mix in all the dry ones. Add blueberries last.
Dump on baking sheet lined with parchment or greased foil (blueberries make a mess) in scone-sized scoops (I made five). Bake in a 350-degree oven for about half an hour or until brown.
So relatively guilt-free baked goods today! No more Dunkin Donuts munchkins. And factoid I learned yesterday -- when you go into a DDs at work at 4 on a Friday afternoon and buy the cheapest set of munchkins (5/$1), you get a whole box and your office mates love you.
I don't have a microphone handy, so I can't dial in live, but in honor of today's Podcastathon over at the hucklebug.com I've decided to post the occasional (but not every half hour) "sympathy blog" with Bet and Stennie.
First entry:
I'm hungry and decided to make breakfast. In the last few weeks I've been craving baked goods, and been eating them, which is actually pretty nasty for someone with a serious wheat intolerance and who can't process sugar correctly. So it's time to get back on the wagon, so I decide to make wheat- (and probably gluten-) free faux scones this morning, so I can be less bad. I'm calling them "fridge-cleanout scones", and they're not bad, although they tend not to be as dry or bready as ones made with actual flour. I went looking in the fridge to see what needed using up and what I had on hands.
2 eggs
1/2 cup low-fat sour cream
1/4 cup natural applesauce
Rest of the container of soy protein powder from Trader Joes (about 4 scoops)
Several shakes of splenda
1/4 cup ground flax seed
1/4 cup ground almonds
Few tablespoons of unsweetened dry coconut
Vanilla and lemon extract
salt
cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger
Rest of the carton of blueberries
(all measurements totally approximate -- wasn't going to dirty any measuring utensils.)
Beat together all the wet ingredients with a whisk. Add sugar and blend. Switch to a spatula to mix in all the dry ones. Add blueberries last.
Dump on baking sheet lined with parchment or greased foil (blueberries make a mess) in scone-sized scoops (I made five). Bake in a 350-degree oven for about half an hour or until brown.
So relatively guilt-free baked goods today! No more Dunkin Donuts munchkins. And factoid I learned yesterday -- when you go into a DDs at work at 4 on a Friday afternoon and buy the cheapest set of munchkins (5/$1), you get a whole box and your office mates love you.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home