Random dumb thoughts

This page is to put those little weirdnesses of life that don't really fit anywhere else, or aren't worth a page of their own

Monday, May 19, 2008

What Were They Thinking?

Today, as I was perusing The Washington Post, I was reading an article about a local 18-year-old scientific genius named Sappho Gilbert. Yes, really. I'm starting to think France has a point by not allowing certain names to be registered. Just how much baggage are you trying to give your daughter? Did you think it was funny? Do you consider yourself "progressive"? Were you trying to point out the inherent biases in society and demonstrate that you're too big for that?

Okay, in the interests of being PC, I'll just add "not that there's anything wrong with that". And you guys gave me crap because I named my kid after cancer.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At 2:26 PM , Blogger stennie said...

    Okay, agreed. Sappho is a horrible name. "Not that there's anything wrong with that," etc., but still -- horrible.

     
  • At 3:22 PM , Blogger Lily said...

    I just googled her, and found out that her middle initial is "Z." (Okay, I just saw that it stands for Zoe, probably the only normal Z name for a girl) However, she appears to also be what back in the day we called a Westinghouse scholar. She's working on finding a cure for Nick. She's very local, so maybe she'd also be interested in babysitting this Nick and finding a cure for the barfing.

    Won't this be fun at the Nobel prize ceremony?

     
  • At 2:38 PM , Blogger Duke said...

    I thought you named your kid after Santa Claus.

    Wonder if those people realized the historical meaning in Sappho? It's a bad name anyway. Sounds like one of the Marx Bros.

     
  • At 3:45 PM , Blogger Bet said...

    Did the article mention her two moms?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home