Random dumb thoughts

This page is to put those little weirdnesses of life that don't really fit anywhere else, or aren't worth a page of their own

Saturday, June 13, 2009

A Little Ode To My Neighborhood

Here's a little ode to the northern part of the People's Republic of Arlington.



It's all true, and this is all shot in walking distance from my house. Wave at the Boy in the final scene, as the building in the rear is where he spends his days.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At 1:18 AM , Blogger Duke said...

    I loved it. I'd always heard Arlington was filled with the snottiest people on earth. Maybe it's really true. Nothing like giving commoners a little money to make them insuferable I guess.

    You don't fit in there at all. How do you stand it?

     
  • At 2:13 PM , Blogger Lily said...

    Well, it's kind of like this. It's resident-friendly in a way that only extreme liberals with a fair amount of money can manage. This is America's most walkable city, the town's school buses and service vehicles are all hybrids, and we recycle everything. We're also the smallest county in the nation, which given the economic resources that being the closest suburb to DC (which is pretty recession-proof) provides, they can do all this stuff. Also, this guy is spoofing the main trendy drag along the metro line -- the southern part of the county is not like this. While it's mildly yuppie, it is actually a good place to live, and I do live on that drag because it meets my criteria of not needing a car if I don't want one, always rentable, excellent schools, and on the metro line. He's also spoofing the subset of the recently graduated from law-school or have big bucks to start with set that gravitates to these brand new apartment buildings.

    The big box chic stores are really only a development of the last five years or so. Before then, we had a lot of ethnic shops, mom-and-pop businesses, and quirky restaurants. Of course, many of them got driven out and that pissed me off. I actually didn't realize that there aren't that many Crate and Barrel brick and mortar stores, and we had an Apple Store very early. (For the record, that one small complex has Pottery Barn, Williams-Sonoma, the Apple Store, Origins, Ann Taylor Loft, Barns and Noble, Myer-Emco, and C&B. It's across the street from the Whole Foods) I just thought everyone could walk to those things :-) I don't think any of them are in danger of going out of business, either.

    Although I hadn't quite realized how many Starbucks were along Wilson Boulevard until he started showing them (although he did re-use some). I have been known to stop in the one down the block from time to time, although I didn't until the Boy came and I had to do more things within a few block radius of home. This is a great place to live if you're wandering around bored with a new baby -- if I was in a more residential place I would have gone insane.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home