Random dumb thoughts

This page is to put those little weirdnesses of life that don't really fit anywhere else, or aren't worth a page of their own

Monday, March 09, 2009

Weird Things That Make You Feel Like A Parent

A toaster. Really.

When I gave up wheat years ago, I realized the toaster was just taking up a lot of space in a really small kitchen and got rid of it. However, now that the Boy is getting older, I realized that the lack of a toaster was starting to crimp his eating habits. So yesterday I finally went out and found a toaster that wasn't too expensive, was plastic so it wouldn't get too hot, and not white so it didn't stick out in the kitchen. I moved all his bottles to behind the dish drainer (and hopefully he'll stop drinking from them soon and they'll just be gone forever), and set it up. After a trial run to burn off all the gunk inside, I stuck a piece of bread (also recently purchased -- I haven't bought sliced bread in years), and voila. Toast.

Boy loved the toast. This morning, I made him waffles. I felt like such a Mommy making the waffles, and I'm getting a buzz out of it. It's weird, but it's such a mom thing to do. I keep wanting to make him more toast, but there's that silly need for protein and vegetables.

Of course, I'm wanting to make toast for me too, but I know what that will do to me. Darn.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At 3:39 AM , Blogger Duke said...

    A toaster is needed for one of life's staples - POP TARTS! How did you survive without them? You seem to have a problem with wheat but pop tarts are safe since they don't contain any. I think they are made from sugar, chemicals, and old plastic milk jugs.

    Now you know how happy your mom felt cooking for you and her reaction when you said "YUK, I hate that".

     
  • At 4:23 AM , Blogger Lily said...

    I think Pop Tarts are one of those child habits that can extend into adulthood that you wrote about in your blog. I was not raised on them and never had them as a kid, so one I got around to trying them in college, I pretty much thought they were disgusting, as was Cap'n Crunch (sorry, I know you love it). I could occasionally get down some of the brown sugar cinnamon ones, but they just were too sweet for me and cardboard tasting. I suspect if I'd had them as a child, I'd have a soft spot and a tolerance for them, but I hadn't so I didn't.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home