When Did I Get So Old?
Here's the problem with turning 40 and having a baby all at the same time. You get really stupid and forgetful really quickly, and you have no idea what's causing it. Is it age, or Mommy brain? I found this article today and I found myself going -- "that's so me!". My biggest flaw has always been "Quick-Who-Is-She Dysfunction" but I'm doing more of the others as well. I have found myself wondering what Nick-the-child-not-the-cancer's name is. Most of the time I remember my own name, but there are days....
Here's the problem with turning 40 and having a baby all at the same time. You get really stupid and forgetful really quickly, and you have no idea what's causing it. Is it age, or Mommy brain? I found this article today and I found myself going -- "that's so me!". My biggest flaw has always been "Quick-Who-Is-She Dysfunction" but I'm doing more of the others as well. I have found myself wondering what Nick-the-child-not-the-cancer's name is. Most of the time I remember my own name, but there are days....

2 Comments:
At 11:58 PM ,
Bet said...
My mom used to call Taylor by the dog's name, and vice versa.
At 3:58 PM ,
Duke said...
I guess my first question is why were you reading anything from Oprah.com? :)
When I hit 50 I couldn't remember anything. A doctor told me forgetting where you put the car keys isn't a problem. When you forget you have a car, let me know.
I think the article was 100% correct saying a lack of concentration is the cause. As I got older I couldn't process external inputs as fast. When things got too hectic I found myself tuning out the minor stuff so I could devote what little brain I had left to the important stuff. So instead of easily keeping up with 20 things I could only handle 5. The other 15 never got inside my brain. I didn't forget, I just didn't have it to start with. Those 15 other things were my keys, people's names, phone numbers, and basically life.
So to me it isn't my memory is failing. That's fine for the few things I can mamage to process. My problem was lack of concentration due to a slowed ability to multitask.
The youngsters can run all over me in trivial pursuit so I have to be satisfied knowing my age and experience gives me a huge edge at being mean as a snake. I can eat their lunch in ways they won't be able to dream of for another 30 years.
Aww...who am I kidding? I'd rather be YOUNG!!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home