Random dumb thoughts

This page is to put those little weirdnesses of life that don't really fit anywhere else, or aren't worth a page of their own

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

What Am I Missing Here?

I have been half-following the whole Burris-in-the-Senate issue for a while (before you scoff, with the Boy around, that's a real accomplishment). Now, while I don't know much about Burris himself (although what I have heard doesn't sound that wonderful), and I think he never should have accepted an appointment from Blagojevich, it's done, it's legal (even with the snitty behavior of the Illinois Secretary of State), and it's not the place of Senators to decide whether someone is worthy of joining their little club. 'We don't want to seat him and he can't come in'. They sound like a bunch of five-year-olds and a clubhouse. And I'm still not sure what the grounds are for keeping him out. I mean, ethical powerhouses like Ted Kennedy and Ted Stevens are all offended here and think it could sully their good names? It would be nice if the people of Illinois got a chance to have a special election, but it's not required and it's not happening right now. If Burris had any grace and class, he would not have accepted the nomination (I'm told others were asked and refused), given how tainted Blagojevich is on this issue, but grace and class has not been a hallmark of Congress for a long time, anyway.

I'm also surprised that I've found myself agreeing with Senator Feinstein for the second time in two days. I think she might actually realize that the Democrats are in danger of imploding and eating their own in toto before they even get into the White House this time. Partisan hackery needs to end, or at least hide coquettishly behind a fan for a while.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home