Competitive Motherhood
There is a phenomenon in the US (and probably the UK as well) that I like to call "competitive motherhood". Apparently this is a race and if we don't do it right, not only are our kids horribly deformed, we are horrible, weak, and evil people. You get breastfeeding/bottlefeeding, circumcision vs not for boys, and of course, diapers. This was reinforced by a recent thread on a message board that I'm on.
It started out with the regular, if boring, "disposables vs. cloth" debate. As usual, some weak person who can't just decide what they want to do wrote in and said "I'm looking for information on the pros and cons of cloth diapers and I wonder what you all do. I wonder what's the right thing to do?" The first response is usually the correct one ("hey, whatever you want"), followed by someone who goes through the list of the pros and cons of each. However, it never stops after those first two messages. About five or six women come on and talk about how great it is to use cloth and how bad it is for the environment to use disposables. Of course, maybe two or three of them actually HAVE kids yet. There's always the throwaway line of "to each their own, BUT..." with the tone of "if you're really that weak, I guess you can do it". Finally someone jumps in, calls BS on all the cloth diaper people and points out exactly how much energy and resources go in to creating and washing cloth diapers. The cloth diaper brigade turns on that person, and then they debate exactly HOW basic and friendly their diapers are. Organic cotton, not pre-folded because that's a cop out, made of twigs and air, yada, yada, yada. You get some "I win because I use cloth"/ "I win because I use disposables and I live in the real world" posts, and eventually it peters out.
Today, however, someone totally outclassed the competition. "Well," this poster said, "I don't see why we need to use diapers at all. I don't plan to" (note the future tense referring to their maternal status). The poster proceeds to go on and discuss this process called "elimination communication" where a parent does nothing but sit and stare at their child, waiting for 'that face' and running over and holding them over the toilet to go. All the time. I had heard about it a while back and laughed it out of the park. I have actually used it a couple of times, but only when he's in the tub and he makes that face and I see a bubble starting to come up in the tub. I have hurled the kid out of the tub and held him over the toilet -- not because I give a rat's ass about the environment or holistically rearing my child, but I do NOT want to have to scrub and bleach out the baby tub again.
Of course, the people trying desperately to win the Mommy competition start talking about how this is used in about 1/4 of the world, and why are we so repressed about toilet functions. Someone finally pointed out that it's probably because 1/4 of the world is so damn poor they can't get anything to use as a diaper and haven't any water facilities to clean them with, and because in those same cultures, often the entire landscape is a big toilet. Then they talk about finding proper "progressive" daycares that are going to work with them to do EC (most health codes for daycares outright forbid this kind of thing), or they will hire someone to come in their home to take care of their child who will definitely toe the line on this and every other parenting dictate. (On what you can afford to pay? Good luck with that. Mary Poppins isn't out there, and even if she was, she'd be diapering the heck out of the kids)
See, this is why I proudly wear the badge of The World's Worst Mother. Who has time to worry about this shit?
There is a phenomenon in the US (and probably the UK as well) that I like to call "competitive motherhood". Apparently this is a race and if we don't do it right, not only are our kids horribly deformed, we are horrible, weak, and evil people. You get breastfeeding/bottlefeeding, circumcision vs not for boys, and of course, diapers. This was reinforced by a recent thread on a message board that I'm on.
It started out with the regular, if boring, "disposables vs. cloth" debate. As usual, some weak person who can't just decide what they want to do wrote in and said "I'm looking for information on the pros and cons of cloth diapers and I wonder what you all do. I wonder what's the right thing to do?" The first response is usually the correct one ("hey, whatever you want"), followed by someone who goes through the list of the pros and cons of each. However, it never stops after those first two messages. About five or six women come on and talk about how great it is to use cloth and how bad it is for the environment to use disposables. Of course, maybe two or three of them actually HAVE kids yet. There's always the throwaway line of "to each their own, BUT..." with the tone of "if you're really that weak, I guess you can do it". Finally someone jumps in, calls BS on all the cloth diaper people and points out exactly how much energy and resources go in to creating and washing cloth diapers. The cloth diaper brigade turns on that person, and then they debate exactly HOW basic and friendly their diapers are. Organic cotton, not pre-folded because that's a cop out, made of twigs and air, yada, yada, yada. You get some "I win because I use cloth"/ "I win because I use disposables and I live in the real world" posts, and eventually it peters out.
Today, however, someone totally outclassed the competition. "Well," this poster said, "I don't see why we need to use diapers at all. I don't plan to" (note the future tense referring to their maternal status). The poster proceeds to go on and discuss this process called "elimination communication" where a parent does nothing but sit and stare at their child, waiting for 'that face' and running over and holding them over the toilet to go. All the time. I had heard about it a while back and laughed it out of the park. I have actually used it a couple of times, but only when he's in the tub and he makes that face and I see a bubble starting to come up in the tub. I have hurled the kid out of the tub and held him over the toilet -- not because I give a rat's ass about the environment or holistically rearing my child, but I do NOT want to have to scrub and bleach out the baby tub again.
Of course, the people trying desperately to win the Mommy competition start talking about how this is used in about 1/4 of the world, and why are we so repressed about toilet functions. Someone finally pointed out that it's probably because 1/4 of the world is so damn poor they can't get anything to use as a diaper and haven't any water facilities to clean them with, and because in those same cultures, often the entire landscape is a big toilet. Then they talk about finding proper "progressive" daycares that are going to work with them to do EC (most health codes for daycares outright forbid this kind of thing), or they will hire someone to come in their home to take care of their child who will definitely toe the line on this and every other parenting dictate. (On what you can afford to pay? Good luck with that. Mary Poppins isn't out there, and even if she was, she'd be diapering the heck out of the kids)
See, this is why I proudly wear the badge of The World's Worst Mother. Who has time to worry about this shit?
Labels: baby, competitive motherhood, diapers

3 Comments:
At 1:19 AM ,
Duke said...
The whole cloth vs disposable thing always seemed weird to me. I don't know but I assume the cloth would be cheaper to wash at home than buy 100 zillion a week. Assuming it's cheaper that could be a valid reason. Another concern could be the whole human waste dump thing. They outlaw toilets that drop directly on the ground for a reason. It's the perfect way to spread diseases through bugs and water run off. There's literally thousands of tons of raw human sewage dumped directly into landfills each day. That could be a cause for alarm.
Except for those I've never thought it made any difference what diaper you used.
Do you think the mother competition will stop with infants? Seems to me it never does. As the kid grows up they just find new things to compete in like how many gadgets they can buy or the number of after school events they can sign the kid up for. The kid's happy banging pots and pans in the floor but mom wants to prove she's concerned with his development so she buys the latest computerized teach and learn garbage. The mom who buys the most expensive in the greatest numbers, wins.
At 10:51 PM ,
Bet said...
That's got to be the weirdest thing I've ever heard. I thought the people who taught their cat to use the toilet were weird, but this woman has them beat.
At 2:29 AM ,
Duke said...
What's wrong with cats using the toliet? Cats are people too. Well, they're kinda short people...and maybe they're covered in fur...they don't talk too good either. But that's no reason to treat them like animals or something.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home