What the Podcastathon Did For Me
First off, hats off to Bet and Stennie for a highly successful podcastathon over at the Hucklebug. They did a great job, posted on time (even early once or twice), and kept us all amused for 24 hours. Woo!
However, as part of my moral support sitting here to try to make sure they had someone listening, I had the tv on in the background and over the course of the weekend I have picked up two reality shows. America's Top Model (complete seasons being rerun on MTV or something like that) and Split Ends on Style. Both aren't that wonderful, but for some reason are strangely compelling. ATM is pretty much what you expect, although half the time I can't figure out what some of the freakish-looking judges are going on about. And of course the girl who looks like she really has smelled a cheeseburger recently is always gone by the third episode. But Tyra is a hoot -- I haven't figured out whether it's great that she's still out there all diva-ish with the extra weight, or whether to tell her that maybe she can't quite wear some of the same things the stick insects do and to wear the stuff that makes real curves look good.
Split Ends is a weird one -- the premise is that they take a top hairdresser from a "salon" somewhere in the Very Big City and someone from a "beauty parlor" in small town hicksville and make them go practice in the other salon. And hilarity ensues. It almost always works out that the hicksville stylist (often a female with overbleached bad hair) get all snooted upon by uppity salon folks in the new salon who proceed to tell her all that's wrong with her, and top guy From the Big City (almost always male) can't cope, whines a lot, gets reamed out by the heart-of-gold, tough-as-nails beauty parlor owner. Eventually both locations come to begrudgingly see the value in the other person's talents and viewpoints, and they hug before they go home. I have no idea why I liked it at all. I expect it's a morality play for something completely stupid and trivial. Can't We All Just Get Along?
Please shoot me. My brain has gone to mush.
First off, hats off to Bet and Stennie for a highly successful podcastathon over at the Hucklebug. They did a great job, posted on time (even early once or twice), and kept us all amused for 24 hours. Woo!
However, as part of my moral support sitting here to try to make sure they had someone listening, I had the tv on in the background and over the course of the weekend I have picked up two reality shows. America's Top Model (complete seasons being rerun on MTV or something like that) and Split Ends on Style. Both aren't that wonderful, but for some reason are strangely compelling. ATM is pretty much what you expect, although half the time I can't figure out what some of the freakish-looking judges are going on about. And of course the girl who looks like she really has smelled a cheeseburger recently is always gone by the third episode. But Tyra is a hoot -- I haven't figured out whether it's great that she's still out there all diva-ish with the extra weight, or whether to tell her that maybe she can't quite wear some of the same things the stick insects do and to wear the stuff that makes real curves look good.
Split Ends is a weird one -- the premise is that they take a top hairdresser from a "salon" somewhere in the Very Big City and someone from a "beauty parlor" in small town hicksville and make them go practice in the other salon. And hilarity ensues. It almost always works out that the hicksville stylist (often a female with overbleached bad hair) get all snooted upon by uppity salon folks in the new salon who proceed to tell her all that's wrong with her, and top guy From the Big City (almost always male) can't cope, whines a lot, gets reamed out by the heart-of-gold, tough-as-nails beauty parlor owner. Eventually both locations come to begrudgingly see the value in the other person's talents and viewpoints, and they hug before they go home. I have no idea why I liked it at all. I expect it's a morality play for something completely stupid and trivial. Can't We All Just Get Along?
Please shoot me. My brain has gone to mush.
Labels: reality shows, television

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home