SI.com - MLB - Yanks storm back on�Red Sox with six-run 8th - Saturday September 15, 2007 1:32AM
You Asked For It
Not much blogable going on in my life lately. Work, work, work, and work, and sleep the rest of the time. However, after a request from my loyal reader(s) (Thanks, Betster!), I am looking for items, admittedly forced, to keep this blog going.
So, I have kind of a not-so-friendly conversation going with a close friend at the moment. I perhaps wasn't the most charitable back in July or August, or whenever the last time the Yankees played the Red Sox. I am a Yankees fan (or as he calls them "those overpaid bankers from the Bronx), although not particularly vehement. Yankee fandom just is, but I'm not watching the games all that much. I can't name much of the lineup, nor do I care whether they win the pennant in any individual year, because as the sign says over the stadium "They may call it the World Series, but most of them are played right here". So at the beginning of the last series, I was kind of following along, but the Yankees kept winning and the Red Sox couldn't pull one out. So finally after the last game, I happened to send him an instant message that said "Did I just hear the sound of brooms sweeping?" It was not well received.
So, yesterday he said to me. "That's fine, I'll talk to you now, but you realize you are dead to me for the next three days." "Huh?" "For the next three days, it's war." "Yes dear. Whatever. ESPN at 7." Now, I don't really mind if the Yankees don't win -- I'm basically a nice person and even I felt a little shock at the last series when the Red Sox dropped all three games -- but for that particular person: read it and weep. Now with my new schedule my Friday nights consist of sitting on the couch and falling asleep promptly by 8:30. I had been flipping over to check the score, and the last one I remember was the Yankees were losing 5-1. Of course, by the time I woke up, the game seemed to be over and I just crawled into bed. I get up this morning and decide to check the score just to confirm that the Red Sox can actually play baseball, and I found this result. Damn, they really do know how to choke, don't they?
So for the rest of you Red Sox fan out there, I actually hope you win at least one of the games, because I don't like to see anyone humiliated. But for him? I'm right, you know I'm right, and the longer you fight it the more painful it is for you in the long run. Once every 70 years does not make a great team.
Not much blogable going on in my life lately. Work, work, work, and work, and sleep the rest of the time. However, after a request from my loyal reader(s) (Thanks, Betster!), I am looking for items, admittedly forced, to keep this blog going.
So, I have kind of a not-so-friendly conversation going with a close friend at the moment. I perhaps wasn't the most charitable back in July or August, or whenever the last time the Yankees played the Red Sox. I am a Yankees fan (or as he calls them "those overpaid bankers from the Bronx), although not particularly vehement. Yankee fandom just is, but I'm not watching the games all that much. I can't name much of the lineup, nor do I care whether they win the pennant in any individual year, because as the sign says over the stadium "They may call it the World Series, but most of them are played right here". So at the beginning of the last series, I was kind of following along, but the Yankees kept winning and the Red Sox couldn't pull one out. So finally after the last game, I happened to send him an instant message that said "Did I just hear the sound of brooms sweeping?" It was not well received.
So, yesterday he said to me. "That's fine, I'll talk to you now, but you realize you are dead to me for the next three days." "Huh?" "For the next three days, it's war." "Yes dear. Whatever. ESPN at 7." Now, I don't really mind if the Yankees don't win -- I'm basically a nice person and even I felt a little shock at the last series when the Red Sox dropped all three games -- but for that particular person: read it and weep. Now with my new schedule my Friday nights consist of sitting on the couch and falling asleep promptly by 8:30. I had been flipping over to check the score, and the last one I remember was the Yankees were losing 5-1. Of course, by the time I woke up, the game seemed to be over and I just crawled into bed. I get up this morning and decide to check the score just to confirm that the Red Sox can actually play baseball, and I found this result. Damn, they really do know how to choke, don't they?
So for the rest of you Red Sox fan out there, I actually hope you win at least one of the games, because I don't like to see anyone humiliated. But for him? I'm right, you know I'm right, and the longer you fight it the more painful it is for you in the long run. Once every 70 years does not make a great team.

3 Comments:
At 10:00 AM ,
Michelle said...
I would be extremely hard-pressed to come up with a blog about baseball. I am very impressed that you could eek one out!
Bravo for knowing enough about the game to give that certain someone a hard time!
At 10:11 AM ,
Mike said...
You are vicious and cruel. Nice going.
At 1:50 AM ,
Bet said...
Lily? Baseball? You do have a fever still, right?
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home