Random dumb thoughts

This page is to put those little weirdnesses of life that don't really fit anywhere else, or aren't worth a page of their own

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Household Cleaning Tip That Works

One of the curses of modern decorating is that you have to have stainless steel appliances in order to be considered "top notch", but the damn things show every fingerprint and they're impossible to clean. I have, however, finally found something that makes them shiny and even small boys can't really put fingerprints on them. Lemon oil -- which I already had in the house as the go-to for furniture polishing. It's kind of scary on the wood, because it can take a day or two to absorb and it absorbs in patches, so for a couple of days you've got this blotchy furniture that makes you say "what the hell did I do"? But it eventually gets absorbed. Since I'm thinking of upgrading The Condo That Rumsfeld Bought with The Kitchen That Saddam Built and may have to put it on the market very soon, I've been googling all those "how to clean" sites for what to do with the stuff that's in my house. This one worked! I'm told if you don't have lemon oil, baby oil would do, but a bottle of Holloway House Lemon Oil doesn't cost that much and it lasts for years, as a little goes a long, long way.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At 2:34 AM , Blogger Duke said...

    It's also trouble trying to clean the solid burner cook tops. Those things smear and burn every food drop into a carbonized mess that's only removeable with a special cleaner. Wish I had gas burners but gas isn't available where I live.

    Lemon oil seems to be one of those wonder substances that can do a million things.

     
  • At 6:10 AM , Blogger Lily said...

    I must cook very neatly, as I don't have any trouble keeping the solid cooktop clean with the "cooktop cream" cleaner stuff. But I also think it's the age of the cooktop -- some of the older ones get nasty, quickly.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home