Those Women, They Are Crazy and Mad!
Okay Riddler, riddle me this.
Thankfully I don't have a very long commute to work. Maybe 15 minutes or so each way. However, on the long-gone WHFS, which used to be a great indie station, then a mediocre Clear Channel version of an Indie Station and is now off the air, every day around 5 pm, they would play a Violent Femmes song. Most days, it was Blister in the Sun, but sometimes it would be something else. I figured it was the DJ's trademark or something, or he just liked the Femmes. I like the Femmes, but let's face it they aren't exactly current or on heavy rotation anywhere. But even after the channel went commercial, it was the Femmes at Five.
WHFS is now gone. So today, I get out of work at five for a change, and I turn on the radio station I listen to now. At 5:15, what do I hear? The opening line to Blister in the Sun. I realize that the last time I got out around this time DC101 was also playing the Femmes at five. Now as far as I know, the producers are different, the network is different and the DJs aren't the same. The Violent Femmes could not be called remotely current, nor did they get big enough to be truly "classic", at least by airplay standards. So what pact with the devil did they sign in order to get that slot? Is it the fine-print rider in the label's contract -- kind of the green M&Ms of marketing. ("Hey, we'll give you lots of freebies and send Jessica Simpson to your station for an interview, but only IF you play the Violent Femmes on the afternoon drivetime show>")?
Your theories are welcome.
Now before you go too far, let me ad one more piece to the puzzle. This same radio station, not an 'oldies' or 'classic' or AOR formatted one, also has one other song in very heavy rotation in evening drivetime, usually later, as I seem to hear it every night. "November Rain" by Guns and Roses. 'Splain.
Okay Riddler, riddle me this.
Thankfully I don't have a very long commute to work. Maybe 15 minutes or so each way. However, on the long-gone WHFS, which used to be a great indie station, then a mediocre Clear Channel version of an Indie Station and is now off the air, every day around 5 pm, they would play a Violent Femmes song. Most days, it was Blister in the Sun, but sometimes it would be something else. I figured it was the DJ's trademark or something, or he just liked the Femmes. I like the Femmes, but let's face it they aren't exactly current or on heavy rotation anywhere. But even after the channel went commercial, it was the Femmes at Five.
WHFS is now gone. So today, I get out of work at five for a change, and I turn on the radio station I listen to now. At 5:15, what do I hear? The opening line to Blister in the Sun. I realize that the last time I got out around this time DC101 was also playing the Femmes at five. Now as far as I know, the producers are different, the network is different and the DJs aren't the same. The Violent Femmes could not be called remotely current, nor did they get big enough to be truly "classic", at least by airplay standards. So what pact with the devil did they sign in order to get that slot? Is it the fine-print rider in the label's contract -- kind of the green M&Ms of marketing. ("Hey, we'll give you lots of freebies and send Jessica Simpson to your station for an interview, but only IF you play the Violent Femmes on the afternoon drivetime show>")?
Your theories are welcome.
Now before you go too far, let me ad one more piece to the puzzle. This same radio station, not an 'oldies' or 'classic' or AOR formatted one, also has one other song in very heavy rotation in evening drivetime, usually later, as I seem to hear it every night. "November Rain" by Guns and Roses. 'Splain.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home