Random dumb thoughts

This page is to put those little weirdnesses of life that don't really fit anywhere else, or aren't worth a page of their own

Sunday, September 06, 2009

Some Days I'm Not Proud To Be an American

Okay. As many of you know, I'm not President Obama's greatest fan. I think he's a nice guy, but weak and giving away the store. He still hasn't learned how to stop being a gadfly and realize he IS the Man now. But this hoo-ha about keeping kids home because the President is going to make a speech directed at them? Since when was having schoolkids listening to the President something poisonous? I know we're a politicized nation, but kids should grow up respecting the institutions and yes, the people who hold them. I'd be hard pressed to smile a lot if the Boy was off to meet President Clinton (either the past and hopefully not the future one), but I'd say -- "great, you're getting to meet the President. Be polite." We're indoctrinating our kids the wrong way. One can be a right-thinking Democrat, Republican, Independent, Libertarian -- we can all want a positive outcome and just have different ideas of how you get there. (I'm not really fond of communism -- it's a system doomed to failure).

But everyone should send their kids to school and have them fidget and twiddle their thumbs throughout the President's speech, just like they would for any speech they have to listen to.

Harrumph.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At 10:43 PM , Blogger Duke said...

    What's funny to me is the idea those kids could hear anything from Obama half as bad as they'd hear staying home. Any parents so foolish and judgemental as to keep kids from a presidential speech concerning the value of school (or similar topic) probably won't substitute their own speech on nuclear physics. It's more likely to be the nonsense you hear from Sara Palin and we don't need another generation raised on that.

     
  • At 3:36 PM , Blogger Bet said...

    Absolutely 100 percent correct, Lily! We were talking about this last night on the podcast - when we were kids, the president comes on TV, you sit there and watch, whether you like it, him, his party, school, or parents, or anything else.

    This country has gone to hell in a shitbucket.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home